Loose headset can be described as free-play in the fork, back-forth movement of the handlebar and fork, steering column movement, wobbling steering, front-end feels out of alignment. What the actual issue usually is – the headset bearings became loose.
- Check if it is the headset
- Hold on the front brake and try to move the bike front to back
- If the bike/frame is moving, not feeling stable, making sounds of movement – headset needs to be adjusted
- Adjust headset
- Locate two horizontal pinch bolts on the stem base
- Untighten the two bolts with 6mm Hex key
- Fold the handlebar down
- Tighten the big top bolt inside the stem with 10mm Hex key, half or quarter of a turn (depending how loose it is)
- Tighten the two pinch bolts on the stem
- Check if the headset is still loose
- No movement in the headset – your headset issues are resolved.
- Still moving – repeat procedure until there is no movement in the headset area and the handlebar is still spinning freely